Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Watching Miracles Form

This is by far the best time of the year for me. If I could do what I do from Nov/Dec all year- I would be happy a HUGE percentage of the time... I am trying to slowly make it to where that is EXACTLY what I do year round.

I run this program called the Angel Tree program.. my fourth year now... this year there are about 250 kids on this program- in this school district that easily qualify. We provide an outfit of clothes, a book, art something or other, and 3 toys. Not much when you think about it- but for so many- all they will get under the tree to bring them smiles.
Some examples of miracles/small wonders from last year... there were cases where a woman would come by and say "I saw this Easy Bake oven and something told me to buy it" ...the next day I get to application number 217 and the little girl asked for one... or a mom who has lost BOTH her sons- finally felt that this was the year to call me and ask if there was a request for 'wrestling action figures' ..and guess what...yes- there were TWO boys that requested that.

Then there was the day that stuck with me all year- that I absolutely loved sharing with those that were the closest to my heart... the day with the doctor. The doctor wanted to give an experience to the neediest kids in my program. He wanted to take these kids shopping at stores and malls and let them just GET clothes.. not from the Salvation Army- not from garage sales- but from STORES NEW.... That morning I had no idea what I was going to experience. I picked up the three girls from their home- which was the country living version of the projects. The dad is raising them- on his disability. We made small talk as we drove to St. Louis and as we crossed the bridge over the river - the 8 year old started getting scared and asked if we were going to another country. It never crossed my mind they hadn't been out of the town...

The 13 year old that day had never been to the mall and been on an escalator.. she was terrified she would fall.. and we went up and down that escalator about 13 times- no joke. lol.. I wanted her to be totally confident if she ever was lucky enough to go with her teen friends...not embarressed. She was a larger girl and I remember when we were trying clothes on for her she looked at me and said "I didn't know they made 'cool' clothes for a girl like me"...

The 6 year old girl had to use the bathroom and so we all went in.. she watched her sister go in and then the automatic flush came on.. and the little girl was plastered up against the wall almost crying- because she didn't want it to suck her down. All the coaxing and bribing would not get her back in there. I had to talk to the maintenance man we ran into and find out where an 'old fashion' one was that had a handle to push down for flushing. We eventually found one..

They had never had a gumball out of the gumball machine..so they got two..lol..never had a Mighty Kids Meal from BK..and thought it was the NEATEST thing that they got to take the glasses home with them(that happened to be Twilight at the time haha) and boy did they talk! So animated and excited. I think the majority of the day the Dr and I were looking at each other in discreet dismay and laughing at the excitement of the kids. It was a day of wonder for both of us- as well as the kids.

That same 6 year old ran up to me and hugged me a few months back, because the Angel Tree lady was goin to get her some Christmas presents again this year - and she was wearing one of the outfits we had gotten her that day almost a year ago.

I don't say this to judge the parents- so many are living what they know out here in the corn fields- which is bare survival. Jobs are so few out here- it's parallel to the inner city with factories that are shut down- the few jobs in the area are now even fewer...the scraping by is now pulling by the fingernails to try to make it a few steps.. then there are others who by their mistakes/issues- they aren't able to provide the way most 'normal' parents can.

I remember when I was little- we were very poor. and I remember being probably about 7 or 8..and we had no money for snow boots. I actually never owned a pair of snow boots until I was an adult on my own- but anyway- my mom would have me walk to and from school - quite a ways- with the plastic wrapper that bread would go in over my shoes and rubber banded above the knees. I remember about 4 kids that would always wait for me and throw snowballs and say things to me on the way home. I remember trudging up the hill and the plastic slipping on the slick snow and me trying to not cry- because the tears would be so damn cold on my cheeks. I had no gloves and couldn't chuck those snowballs back- because it would be so cold it would hurt my hands. And I remember thinking it would serve them right if I just turned around and with my hands in my pockets just started rolling....and rolled down that hill - and I would just get more and more snow around me until I was this HUGE snowball that would run RIGHT over them and SQUISH them!! (Hey- I had a good imagination for a little girl- lol). I know how hard it is to grow up poor.

The deadline for my program was Nov. 15th. And of course- I don't enforce that too strictly. I had a mom call me over the weekend and added her two kids- one 13 yr old girl and a 3 yr old boy. When we got to the need part- she said "I'd love for him to get a snowsuit so I can play in the snow with him for the first time"... after church on Sunday a friend came up to me and said "I have a snowsuit that's been barely used by my son- could you use it even if it's not brand new for the Angel Tree?"...to which I replied "Why yes ma'am I can- I know exactly where it will go."

I had another lady email me last week and say "I have a toddler mattress if anyone needs it" so I added it to my list of "Boosts ready"... going over the applications I found one that is a woman fleeing a domestic violence situation- and she got her kids and got out. What does she need for her 3 year old? Yes... a toddler bed.

This Saturday I go with the Doc again...and I can't wait to see what the kids are like this year and how we can re shape how they view the world on that day.

I am starting something extra in my community called "A Boost"- where year round my goal is to have lists ready and resources going. And if there is a family in need- I'll to try to give them that "Boost". In dream world as a not for profit organization- but for now- I will be happy and complete working on one miracle at a time.

We all make a difference-- like fingers... alone- they function pretty darn well- but when you use them and then intertwine with other fingers as needed..they not only function but they feel warm, are secure and fit.. what we all- big adults and small kids- aim for.

5 comments:

  1. What comes to mind first is a character named Lawrence I remember reading from the Word & Void series by Terry Brooks. He shows up in book 2 of the series called A Knight of the Word. Knowing your taste in books I suspect this novel series is right up your alley. Lawrence also starts off small with a charity organization and because his heart, charisma, and will are so tremendous and great it eventually grows into a wonderful enterprise for those in need. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are much like a character from someone's imagination. You are a rare gem and out of this world. Those around you are truly blessed.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_%26_Void_(novel_series)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look it up. Break is coming and I need something good to read. thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had time to look that up- kind of eerie that it takes place in Illinois?! wow.. I ordered a used copy off Amazon. Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you don't have anything to read, I working hard for ya. In the midst of chapters 20-22 now should be done by the holidays. All the concepts are completed, just need to fill in some gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you are- don't worry.... I can't wait!! Gives me something to look forward to in the future every single day! You will do WONDERFUL- haven't let me down YET. Keep plugging away as you are- it's all falling into place in your noggin.

    ReplyDelete