Thursday, June 9, 2011

Watching a Miracle

Last night I had the honor of helping to bring a human life into the world. A very sweet younger girl that I have grown close to was going into labor. She wanted her mom there and also wanted me there. I have had two children, and each time of course was on the other side of the situation- in those two cases you of course are so consumed with pain & don't get to 'see' the event take place step by step. I was deeply touched that she would want me there, let alone want me assisting and helping with the entire process. I can't explain how absolutely honored I feel to be a part of that new life beginning. It was something I will never forget and always cherish. It was stunning, beautiful, so special. Her mom was on one side & I was on the other, both holding her legs and encouraging- at times firmly to "dig in".. the breathing & pushing. Over the process of a few hours, when his head crowned- I remember thinking- what a miracle I am actually watching take place! Then his face emerged, and the doctor suctioned the nose & mouth, and with a few more pushes his entire healthy beautiful little body came out. As the doctor placed him on her chest for her to see, I saw two tears slide down her cheek - as she gazed at her creation. I remember that moment with both of my children- it's one that will be seared in her mind for all her life. He was absolutely perfect. His weight was 8.13- 20.25".. a solid very healthy & handsome boy. When he was under the sun lamp I stayed with her while the 'brand new grandma' went over to coo over her grandson.. when she returned to her daughter's side I went over to admire him and noticed the little fella was trying oh so hard to open and focus his eyes, he knew there were new noises to pay attention to and oh how hard he was trying. He cried on and off but for the most part he was attentive to the sounds and trying very much to see, and after about 30 minutes he mastered that- eyes stayed focused & open. It was one of many things I hope to have the priveledge to watch him master in the coming years- it was an amazing night I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment